Youth groups honoured with Queen's voluntary service award
Thursday, June 2, 2016
Youth groups across the country are among nearly 200 recipients of the Queen's highest award for voluntary service.
The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service was created in 2002 to mark the 50th anniversary of the Queen's reign and to recognise the outstanding contributions made to local communities by groups of volunteers. ?
For voluntary organisations, the awards are seen as the equivalent of an MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire), which is given to individuals through the Queen's honours system.
?Sporting group Mossley Juniors Football Club is among the groups to receive the national honour for inspiring young people to make a positive difference in their community, as is You Can Community Club in Greater Manchester for enhancing the lives of young disabled people through a range of youth services.
?Further recipients recognised for their voluntary work with children and young people include the 31 Squadron Air Cadets in Tower Hamlets, and the 1st and 6th Hounslow Brownies and 1st Hounslow Guides.?
Box Cleva in Hertfordshire was also named in the honours for instilling discipline, respect and healthy living in children through non-contact amateur boxing. The Bolton Scout Trust was recognised for encouraging and training volunteers to provide outdoor adventure opportunities for young people.?
?Sir Martyn Lewis, committee chair for the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, said: “The thousands of volunteers who give up spare time to help others in their community and to help solve problems demonstrate the very best of democracy in action.”??
Youth minister Rob Wilson added: “The huge amount of work and commitment these organisations put into their local communities is surpassed only by the passion and motivation of the individuals who volunteer. ??
“I hope these groups continue to inspire others to get involved and make a positive impact so that we can continue to build a more compassionate society.”
??Organisations honoured for their voluntary work with children, young people and families include:
- Assisted Reading for Children, Oxfordshire??
- Bolton Scout Trust, Greater Manchester??
- Box Cleva, Hertfordshire??
- Building for the Future, Berkshire??
- Burwarton and District Agricultural Society, Shropshire??
- Chernobyl Children’s Lifeline – Oldham Link, Greater Manchester??
- Children’s Bereavement Centre, Nottinghamshire
- ??CHUMS Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing Service, Bedfordshire??
- Coffee Tots, West Midlands??
- Creative Kids, Dorset??
- Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Voluntary Service, Derbyshire
- ??Droylsden Youth Centre, Greater Manchester
- ??Families First St Andrews, Fife
- ??Fixers, Hampshire
- ??Friends of Sussex Hospices, East Sussex
- ??Holford Drive Community Sports Hub LTD, West Midlands
- ??Inter Madrassah Organisation, Lancashire
- ??Mad Hatter’s Tea Party Children’s Charity, West Midlands
- ??Mary’s Meals, Argyll and Bute??
- Mossley Juniors Football Club, Greater Manchester
- ??Naya Yuva, Hampshire
- Northern Ireland District of The Boys’ Brigade, County Down
- Paisley Wynd Centre, Renfrewshire
- ??Residents of Gordon Street Area & Friends of Vine Street Park, Greater Manchester
- ??Ryedale Youth Theatre, Yorkshire and the Humber??
- Salford Lads Club, Greater Manchester??
- Shanklin Town Brass Band, Isle of White??
- Sikh Union Coventry, West Midlands??
- Staffordshire Ladsandads Club, Staffordshire
- Surrey Search & Rescue, Surrey
- Telford Young Carers, Shropshire
- ??The BIG Project, The City of Edinburgh
- ??The Orpheus Centre, Surrey
- The Pushkin Trust, County Tyrone??
- The University of Bristol Students’ Union Volunteer Hub, Bristol
- The University of Manchester School Governor Initiative, Greater Manchester??
- The What? Centre, West Midlands
- Xplode Magazine, Greater Manchester??
- You Can Community Club, Greater Manchester??
- 1st and 6th Hounslow Brownies and 1st Hounslow Guides, Greater London
- ??31 Squadron Air Cadets, Greater London
- 32nd Greenock & District Scout Group, Renfrewshire